Colors LGBTQ Youth Counseling and Community Center provides free LGBT-Affirmative
counseling to youth 24 and under in the Greater Los Angeles area to
address bullying and oppression and to nurture a new generation of
empowered LGBTQ persons and leaders. Colors holds out the promise that
never again will a youth have to experience therapy and social support
that does not help them realize their finest LGBTQ potentialities
through healing, transformation and selfhood.
Colors is an Antioch University Los Angeles LGBT Specialization
initiative with Pueblo Nuevo Development. All of the Colors counselors
are students or graduates of the LGBT Specialization of the Master's in
Clinical Psychology program at Antioch University Los Angles, and are
trained to work with LGBTQ youth and their unique concerns.
At Colors counselors and staff aim to:
- Educate Colors youth and the community at large about how the
oppressions of homophobia and heterosexism contribute to feelings of
isolation, depression, anxiety, relational problems, destructive
behavior, and low self-esteem.
- Empower Colors youth by affirming their gender and sexual identities
and honor where they are in their process of coming out.
- Explore with Colors youth their multiple identities (e.g. sexual,
gender, racial, ethnic, and religious) and affirming the value of each.
- Inspire Colors youth by exposing them to positive LGBTQ role models
and discussing the rich history of LGBTQ people.
Colors is a safe, warm, welcoming space. Counseling services include:
- Individual -you meet with your counselor one-on-one to discuss things
in a confidential environment
- Couples - you and your partner meet with your counselor to talk about
your relationship and how you can make it more fulfilling.
- Family - you and any family members you would like to include can meet
with a counselor to improve communication or work on other issues
- Group - you and other youth under 25 will meet together with your counselor(s) to build support and work on issues that many of you have
Colors is not accepting volunteers at this time.